Median Branch Blocks
- Median branch nerves are small nerves that carry
pain signals from the facet joints.
- They are located along the bony groove of the lower
back, neck and over the bone of the mid-back.
- A median nerve block, through a numbing medicine,
temporarily interrupts the pain signal being carried
by the median branch nerves that supply a
specific facet joint.
- If the duration of the pain relief is of suitable length,
then the patient may be suitable for a neurotomy.
- A radiofrequency neurotomy is a type of procedure in
which a heat lesion is produced by a special needle,
thus interrupting the pain signals to the brain.
- This procedure can provide you relief from pain from
at least nine to fourteen months,if not more.